Sunday 5 October 2014

Melva - Short story.

The air was chilly, nipping at my skin. My cheeks were red, but the rest of my face was as ice white as the snow falling peacefully to the ground around me. Everything was so silent, no noise, no birds. A beautiful silence, breathing in and out and seeing the air coming out of my mouth.  It was so cold, but i couldn't feel it. No shoes, no gloves, no hat, not even a jacket was worn on me. Most people wouldn't dream of wearing a petite yellow dress in the snow, but i was, lying on the snow covered ground, staring into the marshmallow clouds above me. So silent. 

'What are you doing?!' A voice called from my left. I groaned. 'Typical.' I thought. I could never be left in peace for very long.
'Go. Away. Now.' I wanted to say but i knew i couldn't. I sat up and a warm red and brown checkered blanket was placed around my shoulders and i was lifted off the ground. I closed my eyes. This happens every day.'Take this!' The voice said and a small tablet like item was placed into my hand. I opened my eyes and looked at it carefully. It was a small silver and green capsule. 
'Take it now.' The voice said with urgency. I looked up to see a many eyes on me. Same as always. 
'Fine okay.' I grumbled, then i placed the capsule onto my tongue ever so slowly. It melted so cold on my tongue, it was almost painful.
'Open your mouth, let us see.' Another voice from my right spoke. I opened my mouth and stuck out my tongue. There was a sigh of relief from around the room. 
'Good its green. All better now. Now stop it. We've told you more than once to not go outside into the crystals.' A strong deep mans voice said sternly to me.
'Yeah yeah, you don't control me you know Theo.' I laughed standing up and pirouetting and skipping out the room.
'No but we must look after you, heal your mind, keep you safe from them.' Theo called out the room after me.I laughed to myself and walked down a long corridor, it was the main corridor, made of fine glass, see-through all the way around, and below my feet was nothingness, a huge hole, such mystery no one was allowed to question. Though of course i have tried. Being ever so curious or 'reckless' as everyone calls me. I walked maybe half a mile before coming to a large spiral staircase, painted silver, numbers engraved onto the side going up. '1111, 2222, 3333, 4444, 5555' each number of the high priestesses and highness's in the past. My number was 6666, nothing at all to do with what some call the devil, but the number 6 was incredibly unlucky in my customs. I stepped up the staircase, slowly approaching the top to a huge green door. 

'Melva!' A gentle womans voice spoke from below me. I turned around and looked down the staircase.
'Hey Rose, come up?' I called down. Rose is my best friend, though its most probably frowned upon by everyone else to have close friendships with the other kind. In my eyes shes no different to me, her skin is grey and not white, but its not like shes got a pink tongue. Shes the only one who seems normal to me. Everyone else worries about me, or is scared of me. Rose approached me and gave me a gentle nod of the head, we both walked through the large green door, into the library.
The Library we stole from the other kind. Those, who i'm banned to go near. We have maids and butlers of the other kind, who were either born into their profession or caught for somewhat reason and forced to work.  Though the other kind never come near here anyway, because they can handle the crystals and the glowing heat above.  The Glow is so hot sometimes we must hide in the coal-boxes we had to create, down there in the darkness. But thankfully its only on the odd occasion. No ones allowed in the crystals or you'll turn into one of them. but i'd love to see how that feels like. it would feel truly beautiful. But no one seems to understand. 
I walk over to a large oak bookshelf. Rose knows what i'm about to do, as always i pick up a small book.  Its all about the other kind. they never know i read it though. Rose gives me a grin, with a look on her face as if to say 'open the book already'.
i slowly turn the front cover, the pages soft but old against my fingertips. Full of wisdom in every word.

the weather is worse now, you can barely see in front of you because of the cold whiteness. Our resources are running out. We are becoming weak, we shouldn't give in. We should fight harder but no one will listen. They will not give up because they are stronger than us. Its silly, because really they are scared. But i must admit i myself is scared. so VERY scared, to die, to breath, to live. They will destroy us unless she comes to our rescue, but she hasn't shown herself in a very long time. Century's. Makes you wonder whether she is even real. All she leaves us is this bitter cold whiteness, so very cold. Our own savior cant save us now. Not Even in the words of Melva. Melva for crying out loud! i'm referring to the oldest kind going, that's how desperate i am. But i hear they worship Melva. they have taken her. But we shouldn't have to rely on Melva we should be able to worship our creator, but she is no where. not out there, up in the clouds. we are doomed to extinction unless she comes soon. Real soon. They may be trapped inside, but that doesn't always make them weak.' 
i place the book down on the table and look at my faithful friend. We both have the same look on our faces, excitement.
'They speak your name your highness. Your so greatly appreciated.  They have lost their goddess.' Rose spoke.
'I wonder who she was.' I replied. There was a sudden bang of a distant door, coming from along the corridor. Someone was coming.
'One word Rose, Theo.' I rolled my eyes. And just as expected a tall dusty blonde haired man with green eyes walked elegantly into the room.
'Thought i would find you here,  You must come to the Grand hall immediately.' Theo said but looking at Rose in almost disgust. 'Get out of here and back to the coal-box.'
'Don't talk to her like that,  i invited her in.' I protested in slight anger.
'Vermin.' Theo muttered under his breath as he left the room.  Rose obediently followed after. I was left to tidy up after myself and report to the Grand hall for what i knew was going to be completely boring.
Walking towards the grand hall was ridiculous.
Each member of the society were exactly the same, almost robotic.  And it was boring. I wanted something new but there was nothing.  Everything was the same, Everyone was the same.
It was always 'Your highness' this, or 'Your Majesty' that. It was never 'Hey Melva hows it hanging?' Never that. 
As i approached the large door to the grand hall, i took a deep breath, i know what is coming. I open the door to find a incredibly large amount of people, they see me and they applaud , making way for me to walk to the front of the room to the stage, my throne.
I politely smile, make eye contact, wave. And as i step onto the stage, they all expect me to sit down, on my throne. Although i never do, they still expect it.  They just forget that i am never going to be sat on that throne. Not unless something was changed, for the better, it wasn't so robotic and grey.  Times like this make me wonder all the more how much more fun the other kind seem like. They may have scared the other kind away, they may have forced them away and they may of taken some as slaves and but in their eyes, they were the scared ones really.

Its funny how they all look at me with their lifeless eyes. Even Rose cant be seen in the crowd. I feel so alone, with a bunch of robots.

No comments:

Post a Comment